Pages

Wednesday 11 October 2017

Stir-Fried Kale with Mushrooms, Garlic and Ginger

Yes, it's been a while since my last blog post. I've not stopped cooking or eating but lots of other things have happened over the last 18 months. First I was made redundant from my IT job of 23 years and then at the start of this year I was diagnosed with Type-2 diabetes which has meant that I have had to modify my diet a bit. I now have a new job (5 days a week rather than 4 (boo) but it is at a great institution (the National Archives at Kew) so I'm very busy so quick and easy food is the way to go. I'm no Jamie Oliver but one can try! This serves two and can be on the table in 20 minutes.

Ingredients

300g of kale (or savoy cabbage) stems removed and shredded into bite sized pieces
1 small onion finely sliced
50g of chestnut mushrooms sliced
3cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and shredded
3 cloves of garlic finely sliced
one dried chilli (optional)
2 tablespoons of rape seed oil
2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
6 tablespoons of water

Method

Get your wok heating while you shred the kale, garlic, mushrooms, onion and garlic.
Heat the oil in the wok then add the onions garlic chilli (if using) and ginger. Stir-fry for a couple of minutes over a high heat then add the mushrooms. Keep stir frying for a minute then add the kale. Stir fry for 3 minutes until the kale has wilted then add the oyster sauce, soy sauce and water. Stir fry for a minute then put a lid on and turn the heat down for 5 minutes until the kale is cooked.

Serve with noodles of boiled rice.

Options

If you have some cold roast meat, shred it and add along with the kale.
Some toasted cashews or peanuts would add an extra crunch if tossed in at the end of the cooking.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been a long time since you posted. I'm stopping in to see how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete